Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I WANT to file my taxes

Of course I do, because as a poverty stricken single mother in 2006 (by choice, of course) I am due a rather nice refund. I even qualified for free tax preparation using Quick Tax Web. I have prepared my own return and am ready to net file it . . . except . . . I can't bloody get it to be accepted at the CRA end.

Okay now, I understand that today is February 28 and there will be many companies filing their T4's, but won't there be many more people filing personal income tax returns on April 30? Does this mean they won't be able to do it because the government site can't handle the traffic? It would appear so. I called them last night (when I was first having problems) and they told me everything was working fine so what was my problem. Today, however, I had a sweet girl who tried this line at first "do you have a firewall that is preventing this?". Ummmmm, no, I just paid a bill in my online banking and checked my Mastercard balance so I think I can get into secure sites. Then she puts me on hold and comes back with this bit about the system being rather busy because it's the 28th.

I guess it's a good thing I still have two whole months to file this bloody thing. It just might take me that long to get through!

9 comments:

Luke Coughey said...

It would appear that you just needed your little brother to save the day. I only want 10%.

Angela said...

Hmmmm, little brother's "server" at our house is probably the problem to begin with. I should be charging you!

Lori said...

Luke, if she has to pay, will pay 10% for her:)

Lori said...

That is, Luke if she has to pay will YOU pay 10% for her, also? That would be a wonderful little brother thing to do! Wish I had a little bro...:)

Luke Coughey said...

She is welcome to pay 10% for me. :D

Luke Coughey said...

It is funny that the government had to put the online submission offline because of problems...yet, they told Angela that there were no known problems with the system. I think someone owes me an appology.

Angela said...

yeah, well they haven't yet assessed my return, so I'm not sure you were at all successful with the sending at all. I owe you NOTHING

Lori said...

We, or should I say "CARL" tried to file our taxes last night and again,the system was down! What is wrong with these "techie" guys anyway:) (seems to me that Carl and Luke did their CS degrees around the same time?). Angela, you know to get the job done right that they should have women doing it, right? WE should've become techies...naw.

Unknown said...

Its all supposed to be back up and running by tomorrow. Dave just gave our taxes over to someone else to deal with filing. I did all the figuring but I'm not dealing with computer messes.
$39 is worth not having to deal with that. Of course, I'm using telefile which is supposed to be fine. Since I get nothing back I don't even care if it takes 4 months to go through!! And yes, they owe you an apology, but you'll never get it!!