Friday, February 09, 2007

Book Review Fridays - Haggai

Okay, so I'm going to join a growing blogging group of women who are reading a book of the bible weekly and then reviewing on Friday. I think for the most part I am not going to be sharing any great wisdom, but I'll share what God lays on my heart.

First of all I have to say that I don't know that I've ever really read Haggai. I'm a self-proclaimed lazy scripture reader. Maybe this BRF will help me to get to know the scriptures better.

Anyhow, I loved Haggai. Short, simple and to the point. I really felt that the overall message of this book was directed right at me and it was saying "If God isn't the focus of your life, you will not have a full life". Imagine that!

I love how in 1:5 it says "Give careful thought to your ways", in 1:6 he spells out how foolish we are and then repeats in 1:7 "Give careful thought to your ways". It's like talking to a child when we give them a list of duties and then repeat them to be sure they were listening. Sadly, God has to repeat Himself over and over for me and yet I just don't seem to retain.

In 2:12 - 13 it says "If a person carries consecrated meat in the fold of his garment, and that fold touches some bread or stew, some wine, oil or other food, does it become consecrated?' " The priests answered, "No." Then Haggai said, "If a person defiled by contact with a dead body touches one of these things, does it become defiled?" "Yes," the priests replied, "it becomes defiled." This is a big one for me. I have a computer addiction, television, and friends who are far from wholesome. It says to me that I will become unclean by my affiliations as opposed to the affiliations becoming clean. Of course, I know this doesn't mean to completely put away those that are unclean (as Jesus, Himself, most certainly did not), but it means to keep yourself pure and clean. This, for me, means a constant reminding of the relationship I have with Christ so that I may not stumble and fall away from Him.

Overall there is a theme in this book that if we do not focus on God then we will not reap full rewards. Hey, ain't that the truth! What a great book Haggai is to return our focus to the One who created us and who sacrificed so greatly on our behalf. If we keep our eyes focused heavenward, then we will be fully blessed with His riches.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see your name there on Mr.Linky! Another lady out there getting to know the scriptures better along with us. Great review. I actually didn't quite get what was being said about the 'clean and unclean' part and then you explained it very well for me. Thanks for that. :)

Simple Kim said...

I enjoyed your review. I recently found BRF. Now I think I'll have to read Heggai AND Ephesians before next Friday! Your review reminded me of the constant battle I have in keeping a balance fleeing from the enemy and being like Jesus and loving the person and not the sin. Hard to do, isn't it?

Jenn said...

welcome to BRF! I love seeing new names on mr linky!

Thanks for clearing up the 'clean' and 'unclean' thing. i was confused by that too and didn't think of it that way. excellent.

Unknown said...

Well, well, well... I am soooo glad you joined up!! I miss our God disussions, this will pick up what 20 yrs ago... that was scary! Loved your review. The child thing was priceless... it added a dimension of gentleness to the whole book when you read it like that. God giving loving instruction and making sure we GET IT for our own good! Thanks for that.